Monday 6 April 2009

A weeks worth of birding

I've had some interesting sightings during my travels this week starting with a pair of buzzards over the Snowy Owl pub in Cramlington. A fairly unsuccessful visit to St. Mary's resulted in a pair of greylags on the pond and a reed bunting. No sign of the garganey this time. Driving through Killingworth on Saturday morning we saw the short-eared owl hunting over it's usual field but when we went later, it wasn't there.
I visited Washington WWT today with my grandparents hoping to see the avocets. And sure enough there they were along with 20+ shelduck and a heron with a chick. A visit to the feeders revealed the usual birds such as bullfinches, chaffinches and blue tits although I was surprised to see a reed bunting on the feeder. Also there was a chiffchaff as we were walking around the reserve but it was too far off for a photo.
Avocet Chaffinch
Shelducks
Reed Bunting
Lapwing

4 comments:

  1. Love that first flying Shelduck, cracking shot Jack.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I second that, the Shelduck pic is a good one, well done Jack. Linda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great action shots of the Shelduck.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Unbelievable photography...I'm really enjoying this blog.

    ReplyDelete