Saturday 2 October 2010

A Dark-Bellied Day

I've just come back from St. Mary's Island, there was quite a bit there. In the north bay there was a Dark-Bellied Brent Goose, 2 bar-tailed godwits and plenty of ther waders like redshank, dunlin, sanderling and ringed plover. The golden plover numbers were higher than I've ever seen. Then as I looked round, there was a merlin that I just caught sight of as it flew over the rocks and out of sight. I've never seen a merlin there before. That's about all really, the merlin was the highlight with the brent goose a close second!
Brent Goose Bar-Tailed Godwit

3 comments:

  1. Cracking photos, I must make an effort to go there soon
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was down there on the same day Jack. The Golden Plover were certainly putting on a performance
    I also got a good sighting of the Merlin, which I think has been hanging around the area for a week or two, as I have seen other reports of it. I was watching the stubble field for Lapland Bunting when it flew very low across the field once or twice and then sat on a post for a few minutes. Cheers Brian

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the comments, the golden plover are certainly something special!

    ReplyDelete